Re: [AMC-List] headlight malfunction

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Jay wrote:

> I went to a local car show today and on the way home I had to turn on my
> headlights due to the time of day. I had high beams, but when i hit the
> dimmer switch, I lost my headlights altogether. Perhaps a bad connection on
> my dimmer switch?  Has anyone experienced this before?  My car is a '66
> American.

I assume you pressed hi/low again and the lows didn't come on?
If so, could the entire headlamp switched melted internally,
contacts having worn out long ago, got hot, and failed.
The headlamp switch also contains a thermal circuit breaker,
which could have failed.

You should probably get a test lamp and a TSM and trace it step
by step... but jerk the headlamp switch on and off a bunch of
times, see if you can get them to light... if so, carefully
feel the switch after a few seconds of operation and see if is
gettin hot.