Re: [AMC-List] : A Jeep truck for me! (maybe...)

A: You don't say what year J10 or I could tell you more about it and the fun upgrades. The MJ will likely be a BA 10/5 with bad 5th or 3rd gear popping out. 4th would be a bad bearing between the front and rear shaft. (I'll have a good 2wd one soon from my '87 MJ once I get time to do my auto swap) The shifter on the BA 10/5 is mounted with a round flange and 3 screws. AX5 didn't come behind the 4.0L and won't fit either. Both it and the AX-15 come with 4 bolt rectangular plate holding them in. (shifter may even be the same in some years) Only year of Comanche with AX-15 is '91 stock (production ended @11/91 with very few '92s around) or dealer replaced AX-15 for the BA 10/5 prior to that.

Pass on when you are going to drive back and I will notify the FSJ'ers to watch for you. We have a network that even transports parts all over the country! <G>

From: farna@xxxxxxx
Subject: [AMC-List] A Jeep truck for me!  (maybe...)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Going to go look at a J-10 w/258 and four speed tomorrow. All I
know is it "runs good" and isn't rusted out, and is a short bed.
Asking price of $1200 OBO probably means the engine runs but is
on its last leg, and the body might not be rusted out but might
be a little on the beat up side. Same guy also has a tired 4.0L
Comanche with blow-by (could just be the PCV hose...) and pops
out of either 4th or 5th gear (I forget which - indicates a
synchro is bad though). Trans is supposedly the AX-5 or 15, guy
deals in Jeeps and says it's definitely NOT the Peugeot trans.
Wants $650 as is for that one. Have to run it by the wife, but
don't think she'll complain for $1K. Will need/want a truck when
I get to SC anyway. One of these I'd drive down in early
November with a load of "stuff" that needs to go and take a bus
back. Hmmm.... haul the bike down and drive it back? Probably to
cool in November!! Might haul the bike down and leave it too...
less to move in June! Plus if I did brea!
k down
it would be better to have the bike than the riding mower (which
I don't really need here). But if you see someone driving an
older red riding mower down the shoulder of I-95 between D.C.
and S.C in early November, please stop and see what happened!!
;>

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"