Re: [AMC-List] Play on Words

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Russell Neyhart wrote:

> ...not to keep you talking about this long enough to go out and get
> another Spirit, but... maybe a four worked a bit with a manual would
> have given you a better front/rear weight bias and made for better auto-x?

As Joe points out -- power. But a modern 2.5 would probably
kick butt -- the V8 was a tight fit in that little car.  It was
clearly meant for the big six.

I lowered the car in back with blocks under the U bolts,
dearched springs, and blocks under the rear perches to lessen
rear understeer; and didn't put traction bars or parallel bars
to eliminate "wrap up" so hard braking increased wheel hop. Dumb.

It would have been a much better autocross car -- with someone
else driving :-) I'm a good driver, but I don't have that
particular skill (which was hard to assimilate at the time).

my guess is, you could really get the Spirit chassis to handle
superbly with little work.

There was/is someone on this list who autocrossed a lot more
seriously than I, and I think it was in a Spirit. Maybe he'll
pipe up here.  An archive search 'autocross' and variant words
would probably find the posts. This calendar year I think.