Re: [AMC-List] Play on Words

Brien said:

For their limited amount of time in production,
>> I don't believe they faired well in surviving   -
>> Opinions ?

Did someone say Spirit?

I had a 1980 Spirit until recently when I sold it.  It
was purchased on soCal about 10 years ago with about
140,000 miles on the clock and needing a tranny
rebuild (904).  We had the tranny rebuilt and my son
drove it up to Santa Cruz for college.  It later blew
a head gasket and sat for two years before I rebuilt
the Iron Duke.

With the Duke it was admittedly underpowered but I
used it as a daily driver and worked the remaining
bugs out of the drive train.  I put KYB shocks on the
front to help it corner better.  I loved the short
turning radius and "sporty" feel of the car even
though it was underpowered.  It was noisy at speed.
You could tell the Iron Duke was working pretty hard
at 70 mph.  It got better than 20 mpg.  I tried to
sell it for months before someone who had at least
heard of AMC told a friend about it, and the friend
bought it.  I practically gave it away, but was glad
to see it go because I have too many cars and I have
two other AMCs in line to be daily drivers....63
Rambler 440 hardtop and 64 Classic.  And then there's
the 75 Pacer and the 77 Gremlin and the 69 Javelin and
so it goes.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA