Re: [AMC-List] torqu tube Q???

You can tighten to 250 - 300 lbs at home. I have a 3/4"
extention, socket and 24" breaker bar. With the car on the
ground and the parking brake on, put the socket and extention
on the axle nut, and support the end with a jack stand so the
socket and extention sticks out straight, aligned with the axle.

Put the breaker bar on the socket, horizontal. I weigh 150
lbs. When I stand on the tip of the breaker bar it's 300 ft/lbs
of torque on the nut (probably a bit less because my weight is
probably more like at the 21 - 22" mark).

150 lbs * 2 foot lever = 300 lbs per foot

If you weigh 200 lbs and you want 300 lbs torque, calc the
breaker bar length to stand on:

300    /   200      =  1.5 feet     (18" on the breaker bar)
torque     your        lever
wanted     weight      length

If you want 250 ft/lbs its

250 / 200 = 1.25 feet (15")

I wouldn't do this rough stuff for anything precise but it's
fine when there's a big tolerance like dumb old axle nuts.

> The axle/hub from any 58-62 Rambler Six or Classic six
> cylinder should work.

Wouldn't any 58?-up six cylinder torque tube axle work? There's
a hell of a lot more 63-65 donors out there than 58-62.