Re: [AMC-List] AMC drivers

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, farna@xxxxxxx wrote:

> John Elle has a good point. You can't expect a 26+ year old car to be as comfortable or perform as well as a much newer one. Time and technology march on. There's nothing wrong with a modern daily driver to keep miles off your AMC. Use the driver to run around most of the time and the AMC for the pleasure driving.

Oh absolutely -- I still worry I sound like I was criticising
John. I'm not. You are right, time marches on, newer cars
ride better overall, paid attention to sound insulation,
etc. Cup holders!

It's all tradeoffs... my Hornet at 60 is happy; the Honda is
happy at 80.  So I go slow, it requires living differently,
which by no conincidence is in a direction I want, eg. slower,
take MY time not the pushy commuting a-holes rushing to jobs
they probably hate. Sometimes I take minor highways and get to
work later.

The drive up to Gerlach last month, in the Rambler, took 12
hours. It's about 600 miles. I was in the slow lane the whole
time, past almost no one!  It's an acquired, reactionary,
state of mind.