Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:57:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: J Johnson <imfatdad@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] torqu tube Q???

I received the following inquiry from a guy on another message baord I
frequent.  I have never been into a torque tube, figured someone here
has.  I would like to know more about this as well....

he writes:

I just got a 60 Rambler Deluxe Wagon i6 196 automatic, and I need to
get the torque tube off to replace the u-joint towards the rear
(transmission engages but car will not move, slight squeek sound can be
heard back there, was told by previous owner that it's the u-joint) . I
have a manual for the car and instructions say to raise the car in the
back, then disconnect the suspension bars and emergency brake lines
attached to the torque tube, then unbolt from rearend and you should be
able to pull tube away to have access to pinions and u-joint. Anything
I've read on the subject (including the manual) does not address the
air springs that are also connected to the axle. I've spent some time
underneath the car spraying bolts down with PB Blaster and preparing to
tackle the job, I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing what's
supposed to happen when I follow the instructions, particularly with
those springs. I'm a relative newbie, confident with engine, brakes,
etc., but this'd be my first time working on a drivetrain on a car.

If any of this makes sense and you have any help or advice you could
offer me, I'd greatly appreciate it!