Re: [AMC-List] 69 Vs 70 suspension

i have heard of '69 amxes converted to '70-style front ends, so the
panel as a whole seems to be a straight fit. i would like to know if the
'68-9 amx panel is the same as the '64-9 american, which it shares
suspension with. careful eyeballing says yes. anyone have a body- panel
parts book? yes, popping or drilling all the welds to remove the inner
fender panels would be a job, but it can and has been done.
Andrew Hay

Not only the American, but the Hornet (et al) panels are close as well.
They can be trimmed just above the upper arm mounts or top of the spring
tower and fitted to an earlier car. I've seen one done that way (cut at
the vertical bend just above the spring tower).

Shock tower, by the way, is only correct terminology for the 70+ cars.
Even then it's really the spring tower. The term "shock tower" really
comes from certain big three cars that have low mounted springs and high
mounted shocks.