Re: [AMC-List] Survivor VS Restored

  I am definitely in the "survivor" camp.  I think
that whatever wear is showing constitutes actual
history as it was made.

Washing machines, toys, furniture, and many works of
art are just some of the antique collectibles that are
worth more in original condition than restored.

Cars should be the same.  They were intended to be
consumables, and should be looked upon that way.  Some
consumption is good, the degree is the deciding
factor.

If it's consumed completely, either by use or weather,
it should be restored.  If not, use it or display it
as found.  I feel racecars with genuine history should
be restored to an "as found" point, rather than back
to new state.

Gorgeous, super-detailed restorations also have their
place.  Today's trailer queens are tomorrow's museum
specimens.  After all, they are for looking at,
perchance to study.  Possibly(maybe), to understand.

In my own collection, I have cars that will be
modified heavily, some that will be "street survivors"
which will be repaired in any way necessary to keep
them running, and some that will be restored as close
to perfection as I can get them.  All have their
place.
m.