[AMC-List] What I Did On My Summer Vacation

[AMC-List] What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Pretty quiet here, Rambler-wise. Prepping the Rambler (63
Classic Wag) for the trip to Black Rock Desert. The Hornet took
all the attention for the last two years.

I'm having a hell of a time getting the M35 trans pan to seal.
I bought a filter/gasket kit (imagine my surprise, NAPA stocked
it, NAPA 1-4730) The pan was bent from overtightening (I may have
added to that, but it was leaking before), straightened that, and
used good non-hardening permatex, glued the thick rubber gasket
(old one was thin crap cork) to the pan, coated all surfaces,
etc. This AM it shows leaks! I under-tightened it this time,
so I snugged it gently with a 1/2" nutdriver. Bummer though that
there's ATF between the permatex and body. In my desparation I
also ran a bead of "Right Stuff" around the pan after degreasing.

Visited my parents last weekend, a very traumatic trip. Let's
just say they are nice people, and terrible parents. My father
has Parkinson's, a bit of dementia, now. He built two hotrods
(Ford stuff), he sold the very nice but cliche 32 coupe,
and kept his "old time" rod -- a T ('glas) on homemade rails,
flathead 8, lincoln trans and rear, 20" skinny wheels, homemade
friction shocks, etc. Totally unique and old-style. Hasn't run
in three/four years; two years ago he took out the starter for
some reason, and in his failing state munged it. I got it all
back together, new wires, battery, etc. and got it running.
Drove that up and down the street.

After Blessing of the Cars two weekends ago, I was actually
impressed with some of the very fun hybrid ratrods -- one in
particular, though it was kind of an abomination (a 56 Hillman
station wagon, roof removed, with hot rod front end and chevy
inline 6!) that I am considering do this with my 73 Hornet
parts car. No one wants the empty chassis, and I was basically
planning on completely stripping it, sawzalling and disposing
of it [if you want it lemme know].