[AMC-List] Hornet update & Halogen Headlights

[AMC-List] Hornet update & Halogen Headlights

I?m reminded that my 70 Hornet lived in Milwaukee for 35 years before finding its place in my garage.  After 11 years of storage and now back on the road the car is making some familiar noises.  Not necessarily good noises either.  I?m hearing what I think is pinion bearing noise.  Not too surprising since over the course of 11 year there could have been some oxidation of the upper half of the bearings and now they're complaining.

Next is the gas tank.  I was under the back end adjusting the brakes while on my lunch break and noticed that the gas tank is sweating in a spot about 4? in diameter.  Not enough to drip, just enough to ?sweat? a dark spot.  Now as standard equipment I carry a gallon of gas in the trunk waiting to run the tank dry.  I need to take a look at the fuel gage sending unit anyway so I?ll take the tank down and hopefully do the repair right.  It has been recommended that I use a tank sealer.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

As for the gage, it shows full until you get down to about 4 gallons and then the gage comes down like ?normal? with four gallons being full, three being about three quarters and so on.  Any thoughts on this one?

Does anyone remember how to trim the antenna on these AM radios?  As I remember you tune to a weak station around 1600 and adjust the trim for the best reception.

Headlights, I was working at the hometown Ford dealer when halogen headlights started showing up in new cars.  Now, I have read a lot of chatter here about this subject, but it seems to me that you all have it backwards.  As I recall, and by the way that doesn?t mean a darn thing, the halogen lights were much more expensive to replace, but like radial tires once you had them you didn?t want to do without them.  BUT, being from a farm town populated by retired farmers that weren?t too excited about the replacement price the worry was as follows:  Farmer Brown buys a new car with halogen head lights.  His wife backs the old car into the new car and breaks one of the head lights.  Ole Mr. Brown goes to Farm & Fleet, asks for a head light and they give him a halogen replacement.  He gets to the checkout and sees the price is three times what a regular sealed beam costs and decides to buy a standard sealed beam bulb.  He goes home thinking everything is right with the world.  He !
 install
s the new sealed beam himself because remember he?s cheap and the first time he drives the car at night the wiring harness on that side turns into a melted mass.  Now that?s the really long way to say that halogen lights give more light for less.  Sealed beam lighting circuits are of heavier gage wire so you can put halogen lights in older cars, but not old cheap sealed beams in newer cars.  That is how I remember it, I could be wrong.  By the way the ole home town is Forreston or For Rest Town, it?s a sleepy little burg.

Jack