Re: [AMC-List] getting a 87 Eagle wagon

A: I would at the very least do an '87 to '90 Renix exhaust header (It'll keep the motor emission compliant too as it has the EGR pipe!) The cat on my '88 Comanche lost it's internals into the then OEM muffler. I replaced the muffler but not the internals of the cat, and it passed emission sniff test with no probs. They said it was cleaner than most '95 vehicles. Do a google for"Carter BBD fix" and the site will come up. The carb is pretty easy to fix but a quick upgrade is a Motorcraft 2100 carb with 2 bbl 4 bbl adapter and home made linkage. I got 20 mpg average hwy mileage with my mexican 6 with 998 lockup (when it wasn't needing a new torque converter), 225/75/15 tires and 2.37 gears. Same motor with 999 lockup, NP208, 2.72 gears and 235/75/15 tires with 2.72 gears in an '83 Cherokee full size got 20 mpg too. (I try to keep the same effective ratio with my setups and it seems to work well. My 258 powered J10 had a botched carb I patched on the side of the hwy and got 18 mpg with 727, NP208, 3.31 gears and 31" tires. My current '87 Comanche has 33" tires with 3.73 gears and 5 speed.)

From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] getting a 87 Eagle wagon
To: "AMC List" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Neal, you will enjoy the Eagle wagon. I would however have the
exhaust
system redone by Mieneke or some other muffler shop. One of my
Eagles ad a
leaky exhausts, and with what passes for gas here in Houston,
the fumes when
stuck in traffic or just stopped at light would make you vomit.
I actually
quit driving it until I had a day off to take it to Mida's off
Gessner,
something like $189 for almost front to back inclucing cat
converter. I
think cat converters are the most worthless pieces of s*** ever
put on a
vehicle, but it required one, so put one back.

Can't help you on the brakes, as I don't do my own brakes!

On the carb, Paige's 88 Eagle neede a new carb and it is over
counter at
O'Reillys, it is a Tomco unit, rebuilt, and about $225 with core
exchange.
But what a difference. Her carb kept getting plugged up with
this yellowish
residue. If you look down the carb neck with flashlight, there
are two small
jets sticking out like a V. You might want to get a can of carb
cleaner,
with long red nozzle, and stick it in the pinhole openings on
both, blowing
them out. Those are idles, and they do get clogged and will
cause a Eagle or
Jeep, to stall, sometimes die, at stops, and just run crappy.
Again, some of
this has to do with the crappy 'designer gas' different areas of
the country
use. There is/was a website showing how to do this, I believe
Jim (carnuck)
sent to me a good whiles back. Just something with my limited
knowlege of
Eagles thought would toss in!

My Three Eagles (whihc sounds like a 60s show) get roughly
following gas
mileage:
81 Eagle 151/4cylinder/4speed/floor 23-25mpg
82 Eagle 258/AT/floor 15-17mpg
88 Eagle 258/AT/floor 15-18mpg
I do not know why the 88 gets a little bit better gas milage
except possibly
more 'highway' miles than stop and go. Have fun with your Eagle,
check this
place too: