[AMC-List] Hornet Report

After the warm weather of this past weekend, upper 90's with 65% humidity, I thought it would be nice to look into getting cool air from the AC in the 70 Hornet.  The wife didn't mind that the AC didn't work, for her the hotter the better, but I like being able to retreat behind the glass with cool, dry air.  I managed to get my hands on nine cans of R12, $3/can, and a can tapper.  It took me a minute or two to remember the in's and out's of the process, but job got done with the desired results.  In all about two and quarter pounds to clear the sight glass.

While under the hood, charging the system, I noticed the AC belt was whipping around a bit so I decided to pick up a new set of belts, Gates #7360 for the fan & alternator and #9660 for the AC & PS.  I checked the internet and O'Reilly's had the Gates brand for the best price, but still $34 for the pair.  I thought it would be a quick run into town, grab the belts and back to the farm, about four miles round trip.  Pulled into the parking lot, hopped out and headed into the store.  I got to the counter and looked around, but the three people on duty were at the front window looking out at the Hornet guessing at the year and model.  One was a young lady exercising restraint and just listening to the other two proving how little they really knew about AMC.  You know, ?It?s better to remain silent and thought a fool than speak out and remove all doubt.?

I cleared my throat and the one with ?manager? on his shirt responded.  ?What can I get you??  I rattled off the Gates numbers, told him I?d been on the website and they should be in stock.  He tried to sell me their import brand, much cheaper, I stuck to my guns, ?Gates will be fine.?  Then he needed to check to make certain I had the right numbers, no problem there I tend to be a little dyslexic some days, but not today.  After the usual questions about the car I made my way to the door and left.  Normally I don?t mind talking up the Hornet, but I had a schedule to keep and I wanted the job done before my wife got home.  This was Tuesday afternoon and we have a standing date for pizza and beer on Tuesdays.  Tonight was Mimo?s in Forreston, my home town about thirteen miles from the farm, just a nice ride to test the AC.

I backed into the hawgshed, no hogs, popped the hood and started changing the belts.  The AC belt didn?t look all that bad and after rolling it over a few times I found this:

AM 3191030, original?  And on the well worn fan & alternator belt, AM 3185717.

Oh, the pizza was great, the beer was cold and so was the AC.

Jack