[AMC-List] first cars

My first car was not an AMC.

When I was a college student in 1967 my Dad helped me
get a job as a used car salesman at a typcial used car
lot on Broadway in Louisville, KY.  I was the token
"honest" fresh face on the lot.  The rest of the sales
guys were classic "plaid pants and suspenders" types.
I did sell a few cars during that summer but I would
not sell a car to anyone I knew.  The lot pulled all
of the standard tricks:  turned back the mileage (a
"mechanic" came in and did this for us), really cheap
paint jobs, brake fluid in the auto trannies to swell
the seals and fix an leak.  You name it.

I was in the market for a car before I went back to
college in the Fall, but one of the fringe benefits of
working as a salesman was that I got to drive one of
the cars on the lot home each night.

Cars I drove that summer included a 63 Nova
covertible, 65 GTO, and a 62 Chevy hardtop (which
completely went dead (no lights, nothing) at 60 miles
and hour on a state highway, when the main dash wiring
came loose).  I had out of date plates on it too, so
the sherrif towed it before I could rescue it the next
morning.

One day a guy from Iowa, working in construction came
onto the lot and wanted to sell a 56 Chevy hardtop.  I
asked the manager if I could buy the car and he said
go ahead, they didn't need the inventory.  The guy
parked the car across the street and I put a note on
the windshield indicating I would buy the car.  The
car and the note were gone.  End of deal, I thought.

A few weeks later he came back and sold me the car for
$400.  I drove it for two years but never really had
the money to fix it up.

AMC connection:  We had a 61 Ambassador on the back
row and I thought that was the ugliest car I had ever
seen.  We sold that car for cash to a freshly mustered
out solder who drove it home to Tennessee I think.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA