Re: [AMC-List] 401 surging/sock

If the sock construction on most is like the one that was on my 63
Classic, there is a solution! There is a large rubber piece that slides
over the pickup tube that the sock was attached to. I don't recall how,
but think it was glued/bonded in some way. The sock had disentegrated,
but the rubber was still solid. I bought a fuel filter for an in-tank
fuel pump that was cylindrical and about the same diameter as the
rubber piece. I don't recall what the filter was for, just that it
looked to be the right diameter. I cut the longest end off, slipped it
over the rubber, and used a piece of stainless steel tie wire to secure
it.

Another option: 60s Mustangs used a 5/16" pickup line also. I think
replacement socks are repro'd for them. On my latest tank (I've made my
own!) I found a small plastic filter cartridge that will just fit
snugly on the end of the line. It looks like it was made to go inside
some type of housing, but it presses on the line good for me! At the
worst it will clog easily (it appears to be finer than a sock) and I'll
have to use the air hose to blow it off and install a filter between
the fuel pump and pickup. I still have to finish the tank when I get
back, one of a couple projets I had to leave hanging to go to
Afghanistan. But it's all ready to seal up and put in the Rambler!! Of
course there will be a write-up on building your own gas tank in AIM
later.