[AMC-List] Fire in the Hole

Well, thanks to John Elle and Alan Cardain (norCal
AMCs) I have finally hooked up all the little vacuum
hoses and other supporting systems on my 77 Gremlin X.
 I fired it off this afternoon and it does run.

I couldn't run it long on the small temporary gas tank
because it took quite a bit of fuel with the return
fuel going to the fuel tank on the car.  But it does
run.

Interestingly this car has the BID prest-no-lite
ignition system and the ignition wires to the
distributor were never soldered on this car IAW the
service bulletin.  I left it as it is, because the
plug is sure convenient.  If I ever get a "no fire"
situation, I'll know to check that connection.

The engine came from a 76 Hornet I parted out.  The
two barrel manifold and BBD carb are from the Gremlin
motor which was seized with copious amounts of water
in the oil.  I had the 904 tranny completely rebuilt
in a local shop recommended to me.  I told them just
replace what's necessary and from the looks of the
invoice, they replaced most of the hard parts as well
as all of the clutches etc.  $1000 and I took the
tranny to them.  I put new KYB shocks on the front
last week and have KYBs for the rear and new brake
hoses yet to install.  I have to finish patching the
grille and refinish it and the headlight doors.

I ordered a rebuilt BBD carb from National Carburetor
today, because the car had been sitting for years and
I had heard plenty of horror stories about the BBDs so
I wanted a warranty.

Next I have to drop the gas tank and clean it, then
begin work on the weatherstripping, and beltline
moldings.  Then try to color sand and buff the factory
paint and perhaps order new X stripe decals if I can
bring the paint back enough to deserve new stripes.

To same some money I will try reusing carpet from a
Hornet AMX I am intending to part out, as well as the
door panels.  The seats are being recovered now at a
local upholstery shop, with original material (so-70s
orange plaid) I got from SMS in Oregon.

Let's see, where was I in 1977.  I had just moved my
family to Golden, CO and was working at a consulting
firm.  The AMC dealer nearest me was Bob Bundy AMC
Jeep on Colfax Avenue.  At about that time I bought a
68 Rambler American to drive to work and let my wife
keep the Volvo during the day.  My kids were seven,
two, and one years of age.  Life was good.

Far out, dude.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA