[AMC-List] Surging 401 update

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.  Problem is
still there...slightly worse after todays runs.  Here
is the latest:
-changed fuel filter (74 Jav/AMX doesn't have a fuel
return line on the filter).  I even cut the filter
open and it was very clean inside.
-checked all of the lines from the tank and the pump
and there are no kinks (rubber lines were replaced
when engine rebuilt)
-Went out for a run and had surging problem again
(approx 3000 rpm)
-pulled off and removed and plugged vacuum advance
-next run surging started even sooner so I pulled off
and reconnected vacuum advance
-ran engine up to 3200 rpm in neutral and no surging
-back on road and reconnecting vac advance had no
effect on early surging (even noticed on exit at 20-25
mph that was a fairly steep climbing turn)
-got home and checked tranny fluid level and it's
right on
-again ran engine to 3000+ rpm in neutral and no
surging
-fuel pump is stock
-removed the air filter and no indications of fuel
boiling/dripping into the carb
-I'm running Shell 93 octane that was purchased the
same day as problem started
-Fuel line is rubber (vice metal) and runs up the
front of the engine, between the valve cover and
intake manifold on the drivers side and across the
firewall to the inlet of the carb on the passenger
side (line is enclosed in pipe insulation).  I had a
previous problem with fuel boiling/dripping into the
carb when I would stop that I corrected by rerouting
the fuel line (it previously ran under the engine and
up the back of the firewall but that was too close to
the exhaust).
-the floats have been set and rechecked several times
when working the boiling/dripping problem and the
inlet valves are new.
Marty