Re: [AMC-List] 401 Engine surge problem

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, Jim Blair wrote:

> Odds are the gas tank sock has collapsed or the fuel pump inlet valve has
> stuff sticking it open and causing low pressure. The fuel filter could also

Or wrong gas cap! If popping the gas cap causes a big WOOSH
of air in, it's sealed and shouldn't be, or sealed, and the
return tank vent hose (year, model, state, smog, etc) is plugged
or whatever.

Plain old low-flow fuel pump problem?

This happened to me once, on a 258 six, no less -- slightly
loose fuel hose clamp on the SUCTION side of the pump, sucking
air! I could actually hear it, like pulsating sucking through
your teeth. Pulled on the hose and it changed.