Re: [AMC-List] 4sp for 196 [was: AMC-List Digest, Vol 6, Issue 1]

Re: [AMC-List] 4sp for 196 [was: AMC-List Digest, Vol 6, Issue 1]

" From: "M Walter" <redamc1963@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" hello AMC land,   I would like to put a 4 speed trans in my 62 american
" convertible.  It currently has a dual 1bbl carb 196 T-96 3 speed w/o.d. I
" put a Hurst truck floor shifter in it, whic works great but interferes with
" the o.d.  The clutch is also too weak for this motor.   THANX,
" redamc1963@xxxxxxxxxxx

1. could you please trim your postings and not include irrelevant
500-line digests?

2. no easy tranny swaps for more gears.  i didn't get into it as far
as frank, but i started noodling up an adapter plate that would put a
'94-5 mustang 3.8 t5 onto the original bell.  just comparing patterns
it didn't seem to me that any of the holes would line up though i'll
admit i didn't get my info directly from actual transmissions...  so -
this t5 has a longer input than previous mustang boxes, which are
about the same as the amc t4/t5.  that makes room for a plate about
2/3" thick, with a lip on one side to locate it to the bell and
recesses for panhead capscrews to hold it on.  on the back side, a
shallow recess for the larger t5 retainer with 4 deeper pockets for
the retainer bolt heads, and 4 threaded holes for the tranny bolts.

i believe it would be relatively straightforward to make, for someone
with miller experience.  the only precision dimensions are the
flatness, the diameters of the front-side lip and back-side retainer
recess, and their concentricity.  those 4 things align the new tranny
to the crank.

3. there's a 10" pressure plate used for many years on the mopar 225
slant six that i believe fits the little bolt circle on the 196
flywheel; see http://www.slantsix.org/articles/clutch/sl6-clutches.htm
about half way down.  for your 3sp locating a 10" disk could be a
challenge, but probably an early-'70s hd 304/t14 app would be easiest
to find.  btw the t14 will bolt to the stock bell and is full synchro,
but it's shorter and o/d versions are -rare-.
for a 4sp or 5sp 10" disks are as common as grass.

4. you'll need a custom pilot bushing.  amcs up to the mid '70s are
0.750" dia; fords are mostly 0.670" and gms are 0.590".