Re: [AMC-List] Forged steel AMC cranks

" From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I found a machinist that alters existing cranks by welding additional
" material onto the rod journals in a strategic location using a submerged arc
" method.

this is the way all strokers were done well into the '60s, before the
performance aftermarket took off and made custom billets, castings,
and forgings affordable.

" Watched as he proceeded to drastically lengthen the stroke of a two
" cylinder tractor engine. It was almost half the rod journal diameter. The
" antique tractor pullers love their stroked engines too! He straightens the
" cranks and machines them too. He has an induction hardening machine. Not
" sure if that works on cranks. Any way I was impressed!

it should.  dunno if you'd have to check straightness afterwards.

" Wondered how well this would do on an AMC forged 390 or 401 crank. How much
" displacement could a guy end up with??

crankcase clearance would be your enemy, rods to cylinder bottoms,
crank to cam, crank to oil pan rails...

just occurred to me - with the similarity of bore spacing [4.75" iirc]
you might be able to take a mopar b/rb raw forging and finish it to
amc specs.  mp sells off-the-shelf 4.15" cranks...