Roger Penske. Can some one say irony here. thanks LRDaum mramc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:10 PM
From: francis.swygert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There aren't many changes necessary. Early GEN-2 engines still used the
Borg Warner auto trans. Those have a separate bell housing, not cast as
part of the trans body. So it is simple enough to get a GEN-2 bell and
bolt a GEN-1 style trans to it, or just get the tailshaft housing from a
GEN-1 type trans -- the output shafts are the same, just the housing is
different. The engine mounts are in the correct location IIRC. One might
have to drill new holes for the mounts, but that's about it.

I have always understood that there is a *possibility* that 290s were
substituted for 287s near the end of the 66 model run, but have never
seen any proof. The VIN on the 66 Ambo would tell if it came with a 290
or 287. But in all honesty, it's likely a later transplant. The 343
didn't appear until 1967, only the 290 was used in 66, and no 290s in
Ambassadors, at least not in 67 (I don't think the Ambo ever got a 290
or 304). If this were a 66 Classic or Marlin, then there is a
*possibility* it is the factory engine. The 327 remained in production
for at least another year (through 1967) since orders were coming in
from Kaiser Jeep and Gray Marine.