[AMC-List] Temp sending unit question

My 1966 TSM says that the temp sending unit should read 70 ohms when cold
and 120 ohms when 212 degrees. I measured my new unit and the old unit after
removing it from the engine and NEITHER one reads anywhere near 70 ohms
cold. I get 268 ohms cold with the old one and about 258 ohms on the new
one. That is reading it from the electrical connector to the brass sensor
that goes into the block.  What am I doing wrong. The TSM doesn't anything
about whether the gauge wire has to be  connected to the unit while it is
screwed into place.

Jay