Re: [AMC-List] Engine Timing

A: Since losing a large portion of my hearing (from the car that fell on me
in the '95 Duvall, WA quake) I have had to resort to vacuum gauge on
occaision to get things dialled in. My mentor worked for Henry Ford on the
assembly line as a mechanic building Model As.

From: AMC74Hornet@xxxxxxxxx (Mr. AMC)
Subject: [AMC-List] Engine Timing
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Don the vacuum gauge method is new to me but I can see how it
would
work. While it probably would not work on the modern tech cars
of today
I don't see why it would not work on cars of the 70's. My method
of
timing under a load needs a fine hand and a good ear as does my
way of
adjusting a carb needs a good ear. But then again I been doing
it for
over 40 years. Both methods were taught to me by my father who
served
his mechanic's apprenticeship in Germany before getting out with
his
father who also was a mechanic in 1932 before Hitler took over.
On new
cars I haven't a clue. That's why I have 2 74 Hornet's and my
newest car
a 77 Chevy beater.
"Doc"