Re: [AMC-List] Fw: 66 marlin spring question (drop front end)

Re: [AMC-List] Fw: 66 marlin spring question (drop front end)

There are two ways to lower the car. The first, since you have reuined
the springs anyway, is to order sporings with a lower installed height.
Coil Spring Specialties (www.coilsprings.com) can make these for you.
Order a 10-20% stiffer spring as well. They no longer make "single rate"
springs, they only make "progressive rate" -- which means the spring
gets stiffer the more it compresses. Progressive is far better than a
single rate. They will figure out the equivalent spring for your car,
they have charts going back that far. If not, someone with a 66 TSM can
get the rates for you. AMC printed spring rates in the TSMs up to 1969.
You still want to tell them 10% higher than normal, and with a 2" drop
I'd go 15-20% more. It will be stiffer, but won't bottom out. The early
to mid 60s cars have rather soft springs due rougher roads back then.
Handling is greatly improved on a high spring car with stiffer springs
also. Order the correct rear springs, also 10-20% stiffer, while you're
at it (unless you've changed the rear suspension). Clamping the spings
would have been better than heating them! I'm sure the car rides a
little stiff now. I think I'd go no more than 1.5" this way, as the
lowering affects steering and suspension geometry. If you can get the
car properly aligned now, it should be fine to order srpings at the
installed height the springs are now. Measure the height of the spring
while it's in the car and order that installed height. Note that new
springs will sit a little higher for six months or so until they
"settle" in.

The other thing you can do is make a plate that bolts between the
spindle and steering knuckle. Rather than go through details here, go to
www.amcforums.com and search for "drop plate", "drop spindle", or
"lowering". That will turn up messages with drawings and photos of the
plates. Mark Price dropped his American that way, and he's on here. I'm
sure he'll chime in now!