Re: [AMC-List] AM radio computer MP3 player...

Re: [AMC-List] AM radio computer MP3 player...

Man thats what I have been wanting to do to my radio. You see the ads
in Hemmings for vendors that will do this on your radio but want up
to  $500 to do the mod with all the components inside the original
case  .
On Jun 23, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Tom Jennings wrote:

> It's only taken me A WHOLE YEAR, but it's pretty much working now,
> though not installed.
>
> I have a linux car computer in the trunk, USB to the dashboard, and a
> hacked up 1970 AMC Hornet AM radio as the music controller, with very
> carefully crafted interface software. It does the whole enchilada
> (8000+
> songs in some 700 disks, so far) from just the two AM radio shafts. No
> dashboard hacks at all.
>
> Here's the controller in my hand, minus the plastic bezel (out in the
> lab). I will demo the thing for Dorkbot next weekend, hopefully
> install
> it two weeks from now.
>
> http://wps.com/projects/MP3-system/radio-player.html
>
> The rest of that page http://wps.com/projects/MP3-system is pretty
> nerdly (internal documentation) but I'll clean it up and put photos
> and
> such when closer to done.
>
> The computer is totally hidden, does all its power management
> automatically and silently (eg. knows enough to not turn itself off
> for
> a couple of hours if it's 10am; but turns itself off in 30 minutes if
> it's 2am, etc).
>
> It's supposed to have a wifi interface for loading music, but the USB
> wifi thing I use has a buggy software driver, so I have to plug in an
> ethernet cable. (I rip CDs to a Mac mini at home, then copy it into
> the
> car).
>
> Now I gotta go work on the stupid carburetor.

> or go to http://www.amc-list.com

Ray Mick
Somewhere in Kansas
"The older I get the faster I was"