Re: [AMC-List] 6 manifold gasket question

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 19:58 -0700, JOE FULTON wrote:
> I got the Napa intake/exhaust gasket manifold gasket
> set for my 6 cylinder Gremlin X.  The gasket set has
> an intake gasket which naturally covers only the
> intake manifold mating surface (to the cylinder head).
>  It also includes a complete one-piece intake/exhaust
> manifold gasket.

I use the two-piece sets, and have had no problems with long-term leaks,
loosening, etc. To do the job right means you have to loosen the four
bolts (studs) that bolt the intake to the exhaust manifolds. Of course
on old engines they like to break, especially the top ones near the
center exhaust ports.

The sandwiched perf metal one goes on the head, I think smoothest side
to the block, perfs out. It will (barely) stay on the locating dowels as
you assemble. The blue one goes on top (towards manifold). It ought to
be marked, but I'm fairly sure it's symmetrical. The loop in the middle
of the blue intake gasket goes up. I had one once that needed to be
clipped slightly to not be pinched by the manifold against the block.

The reason for loosening the two manifold halves is of course that the
intake gasket (two gaskets) is thicker than the exhaust (one gasket).
Just snug (inch/lbs by hand) the manifolds up to the block (the gaskets
will want to slip down as you assemble them) before re-tightenin the
manifold halfs.

I always recheck torque after getting it hot for a day or so, but it
seems to be  a waste of tim ewith these new gaskets.