Re: [AMC-List] 3 sp transmission wanted

A: I had to pass on a Gear Vendors O/D last year for a TH400 (would've worked nice in my '73 J4000!) but there are other alternatives. I have a 42RE from a '95 Grand Cherokee that I am going to try to graft the valvebody from an '88 to '92 Mopar O/D auto into. I like the gearing and coupled with a billet converter (I believe it's the same as 999) it should work well in my old truck to give the 304 an O/D. After 3 years, it's finally time to O/H the Motorcraft carb (I'm pretty sure the power valve finally died after backfiring it so many times to "clear it's throat") I use an AMC base gasket, but use a '70 Ford P/U 390 2bbl O/H kit (because mine is a 2100) I bought a kit 2 years ago for the 2150 and all I could use was the accelerator pump gasket and base gasket. Power valve (2 stage) wouldn't fit under the thin cover so it's sitting on my bench of parts to flog off soon. (that pile is getting HUUUUGE! I'll be emptying the van out on sunday I hope. Depends how I feel after my ex-ma-in-law's funeral and the drive back from Canada. I'd rather take the Comanche but the wife insists on taking the Stuperoo that recently cost us $2500 for a trans)

Anyways, I digress (don't I always?) I figured I'd mention the above trans, and also if someone is looking for an upgraded drivetrain, consider an AMC 4 cyl from an '84 to '88 (or newer for multiport EFI) from an XJ or MJ (maybe YJ too?) They came with either crappy carb (which can easily be swapped for a Weber) or Renix TBI late '86 to '88. There are a number of trans options for them. You can run any trans that was behind a RWD GM 2.8 (not sure on the pattern of the last RWD Caddies) with the right flexplate. I have a Jeep 904 lockup from one with EFI (that I bought as a core for $150 along with the 4 cyl flexplate with TBI ring gear, then my project Rambler went away) GM had a 700R4 in the S10 pickups with the 2.8L as well. The easiest 5 speed to find is the AX-5 from a 2WD Comanche (lots of guys on the MJ list converting to 4x4) but you can even upgrade that if you can find a Dodge Dakota with AMC 4 cyl and 5 speed as they are supposed to be all AX-15 (which is strong enough for a stroked AMC 6)

I had to reread the post to remember why I originally replied, and it was the 4 speed on a column. I did that trick with my '66 Fairlane I had @ Y2K and used a Jeep Transfercase low range cable to operate reverse. (that cable is now in my '73 J4000)

The thing I didn't like about the 727 was the stock gearing of 1st and 2nd (too high) but there are aftermarket gearsets to drop them to the same as 904/999 or lower. (run a medium stall converter with high lockup kit and it'll feel like an O/D. That's what is slated for my J4000 when the TH400 wears out completely or I have my '84 J10 finished or I just decide it's finally time!)

From: "Jim Boone" <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] 3 sp transmission wanted
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 5:51:44 -0700
From: Mark Price <markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
For towing, you'd be hard pressed to beat the 727, Go with a
low gear set
for extra grunt if your rebuilding it IIRC they are not that
expensive.
That way you can keep Higher gears in the axle and still get
the rig
rolling. For top of the line pulling and cruising throw in a
Gear vendors
overdrive! then you have a full 6 speed automatic! of course
your wallet
will be $2500-$3000 lighter by the time you buy the controller
and
everything."

I agree that using/rebuilding the 727 I already have would be a
wise choice.
 Just thought I'd ask about available 3 speeds, ya never know!

Andrew's comments in a later post about using a beefed-up 998
would work as
well, and is worth looking into.  I don't intend to haul a
trailer full of
bricks, just want the capability to take the American on a
trailer to car
shows behind the wagon.

I also don't really want a floor shift if I can avoid it.  The
idea of doing
a 4 sp on the column like your friend's Cheby truck is
interesting, never
thought of that!  But, I just sold a good T10 combo as luck
would have it.

Something I do have, that I had intended to get rid of, is one
of the "fake
toploaders".  These were 4 speeds, but 4th was an OD, and were
produced in
the late 70's.  Mine has a "D7" tailshaft code, which is '77 in
fordspeak,
and was built in '77 or '78 from what I can find out.  These
supposedly
don't have alot of torque capability - they weren't built for
performance -
but they might have sufficient strength for what I want, not
sure.  I
haven't actually found any accurate torque ratings for them.

The Gear Vendor's OD would be ideal behind the 727, but I think
if I was to
spend that kind of money, I could do things cheaper, er, I mean,
more cost
effective, by buying a well-built 700R4 and install using an
adapter from
Advance Adapters, or buy one used as they are out there in the
Jeep
community.  I haven't looked in awhile, but I think you can buy
the R4's
already built from TCI or the like for ~$1500 or so.

I do have access to a free 200R4 that came out of a SS Monte
Carlo - like an
early-mid '80's car.  These supposedly were the good ones.  Not
sure what it
would take to make it worthy for my purposes.

I think this just keeps putting me back to the 727 sitting there
quietly
underneath one of my workbenches...

Jim Boone
Mims, FL