Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" i have found me a mustang t-5 in good shape for $300. a rear crossmember
" for the t-5 for a fox body mustang that has rubber bushings on each side.
" i can weld mounts on the frame of the car for the crossmember. maybe
" make the unitbody a little bit more ridgid also? i have also found a
" bellhousing with new throwout bearing, and fork for a t-5/258 for an 86
" cj7. all of this stuff should work well so far right?

all good so far, but -

most ford trannies - toploaders and v6/v8 t5s - have a 4.85" front
retainer diameter.  gm trannies, many amc boxes including their t5,
and at least some 4-cyl fords have a smaller 4.64" diameter.  your
amc/jeep bell will be 4.64" where your 5.0 t5 will be 4.85".

you could do worse than to find a -junk- s-10 t5.  chances are the
retainer would be good, and it's an easy swap onto the ford t5.
likewise the tailshaft housing, which would move the shifter clear of
your bench seat.

amcs of the late '70s used ford trannies - sr4 and t150 - so a
crossmember from that era might help you also.

one thing bothers me about welding on the frame: you'll burn off any
rustproofing on the inside of the channels, where you can't easily get
back in and cover the bare metal - but water won't have any problem
finding it...