Re: [AMC-List] 290-4v/4spd question

Yes, the flexplates too.  The 290 will swap out with the 343 so long as
you keep the 290 balancer and flywheel.  The 290 4V was rated at 225hp
and the 343 4V was rated at 285hp so they may have used a different
version of the T10.  IIRC the 343 4V got the M12 auto as did the 390 and
the 343 2V got the M11 auto as did the 290, so it would make sense that
they used a heavier duty version of the T10 with the 343 4V.  Speculation
on my part.  Compare part numbers on the tranny's.  There was also a
close ration T10 and a wide ratio so there are many variables, including
what was available on the shelf when the car went together.

Wayne
Wayne & Lisa (Skeezix), Bolton Landing, NY,
http://www.superglider.thinkhost.com/
AMO#8454, 83 Eagle Limited Wagon, 82 SX/4, 258 auto
69 Ambo coupe, 401, M12, 66 Ambo 990 Wagon, 327,PW,PB,PS,posi,AM/FM,AC
88 Jeep J10 360, auto- a Real truck
2001 Cherokee, 2000 Chrysler Cirrus (both hers)