Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, d stohler wrote:

> i came across a t86 tranny with a borg warner overdrive unit,
torque tube mount and all. how hard would it be to shorten my
torque tube to fit this set up, or would i even have to cause if
i remeber right, i have a long tail shaft on my transmission,
and i see this overdrive unit taking up where my long tail
shaft is. did they put that long tail shaft on the back of none
overdrive units so they could use the same torque tube set up? if
not, would i be able to cut a section of the torque tube out,
reweld it and shorten the driveshaft? i have a triangulated 4
link for the rear now so the torque tube will not be stressed
so cutting and welding shouldnt be a problem would it? thanks

I've done the opposite -- took a t89 with OD out of my 1963
Classic, and installed a 1965 little Borg Warner. Lengths match
fine and it all bolted up. With a 1970 232 in front, no less.
Ignorance is bliss.

I too have a t89 with OD for torque tube. I paid $75, it was
pulled known-workin from a 64 Classic about 2 yrs ago.

(I swapped out my orig. t89 out because I sheared teeth off
first gear cresting a very steep hill with the 232.)