[AMC-List] T5 bell housing options for AMC applications

[AMC-List] T5 bell housing options for AMC applications

The following information was posted earlier, due basically to lack of
clear description the information is incomplete or misleading.

Snip
Get the bell housing from any 79 or later six cylinder manual shift car.
That
has the bolt pattern for the T-5 and will bolt to the 304.
Snip
This information is incomplete both in application and the sources
available

SNIP
Actually  from a 1977 or later 304 V8 or I-6 manual shift car that uses
the SR-4 T-4 or T-5 transmission. NOT 4 CYLINDER VERSIONS!
Make sure you are getting the throw out arm and bearing with the bell
housing! 3 speed manual transmission bell housing will not work.
SNIP
This information is complete as far as it goes. As far as I know AMC
started using the SR-4 (a family related transmission) in 1977. They
could have used them earlier, that I am unable to determine but they
were the 4 speed installed in I-6 and 2bbl V8 applications for the 1977
Hornet AMX. Any earlier use of this transmission would most probably
have been in I-6 applications for the "Sporty" image if any. Locating
any of the I-6 or V8 SR4, T4 or later T-5 equiped AMC 2wheel drive
automobiles as a Donor car will supply you with a Bell housing, clutch
throw out arm and throw out bearing and the transmission input shaft
bearing retainer needed to bolt a world class Mustang transmission into
or on any AMC I-6 from 1972 on or AMC V8 of what has been commonly
referred to as the 2nd generation v8's. That is the 290, 304, 343, 360,
390 or 401 engines. The clutch linkage from those 4 speed application
cars bolt correctly to any given clutch linkage existing in any AMC car
that came from the factory with those engines in them.
I caution to point out;
Any 4 cylinder application bell housing will not work! Unless of course
you want to install a small block chevy V8 and if you do in that case a
bell housing for an SR4 etc. with the 151 cu in I-4 has the small block
chevy bolt pattern.
Also, a 3 speed (dedicated only) bell housing will not work.!!!!! With
one exception.
There is a bell housing referred to as a multiple application bell
housing. It is drilled (some times) for up to 3 different transmissions.
I have never seen one. I have never had any one report to me that they
found one and what they found it in. I have never been able to determine
what they were installed in. I can not help you find one if I do not
know what it looks like or where to go to look for one or even what the
odds are of ever finding one is. But you do need a description.
However if I am able to find more out about them I will add that
information to the limited information I carry for this conversion on my
T5 data sheet.
>From what I have on file the bell housing may have holes drilled in it
for up to 3 different manual transmission applications. One of which may
be the SR4, t4 or t5 application, another may be for a 3 speed
transmission. I have no clue what the 3rd set of holes may be if they
exist at all.
All of the holes may be drilled and tapped. All of the holes may be
drilled and only some tapped. Some of the holes may be drilled, some
tapped and an empty unmarked location for other holes that the user
would have to locate and tap.
I have no idea what years they were available, whether they were
universally used during a given time period or if they randomly showed
up every now and then. I am not sure whether they were used just on the
cars or on the Jeeps too. From what little information I have been able
to pick up on them over the last 10 years is they seem to border on
being a myth.
Other options that are out there.
Eagle application bell housings. They are there. They use a hydraulic
clutch system unique to the Eagle and the slave cylinder rebuilt kits
started being manufactured from onobtainium about 5 years ago. Not only
that but you have to install a clutch master cylinder on your car in
order to use them.
Various Jeep applications. I am completely un-familiar with Jeep
applications. Some of them seem to use the basic AMC mechanical clutch
linkage, others seem to use a hydraulic throw-out bearing system
requiring a hydraulic clutch. All of these have been used by various
people at various times according to my notes. Some more successful than
others.
When asked about bell housing recommendations through a format that
wants short answers my best response would be to point a direction out
that has the widest selection of bolt on applications. That is any AMC 2
wheel drive I-6 or V8 automobile that uses an SR4, T4 or T5 AMC
transmission. These generally are 1977 and newer. When looking get the
throw out arm and bearing with it. I have seen E-bay ads selling a bell
housing that will not use a throw out arm. As far as I am concerned, if
it ain't got a throw out arm with it, don't buy it. A lot of people have
been taken that way. Also keep in mind that after Renault got it's
operating hooks into AMC a number of Jeeps used Renault based 5 speeds
that weren't any better than the T5 AMC used. But buying a bell housing
from one with out confirmation that it would work gets you an aluminum
paper weight.
As some of you know, I have been running a world class T5 in my 390 (as
the British would say, cooking version) Javelin for over 15 years now.
There are issues that you have to deal with as in any modification but
if you understand the issues and are selective on your modifications it
is a very satisfactory conversion.
Hope this clears up a few things.
Thanks
John