[AMC-List] - OFF TOPIC -

Car Culture, that's all -

Petaluma Cali. is the place,
check this site:

http://www.americangraffiticoupe.com/

mOpar Tin ?

I had a rust free 50K mile '57 Plymouth Fury with the Factory
dual quads & 150mph speedo - it's somewhere in someones
collection now...... I think maybe in New Jersey.....still have the
quads
and the air cleaners.

Really would like to cut up a '57 Imperial into a 2 seater as the
fins & rear deck scream Custom.

Dreyfus ?  we had  one local
guy  really should have been in car movies,
a true afficianado of Studebaker Hawks,

His Daughter named
'Candy'......ran a Hot Pink Camaro ragtop >  ;)

Ed Wells  looked like an upscale  version of Kookie-Burns.

His '55 Speedster  was shortened 5" ,
Ivory with White  leather interior & huge
Chrome shovel nose-  never forget that jewel.......

Factory S&W gauges lit up in Engine Turned Dash,
PAXTON R-1 rumbling thru straights.

Had a Convertible Hawk for a project - & barns full of parts -
always swapping & hunting tin or hangings' with the
Dancers in the Club above the Newburgh Car Wash
next to Dunkin Ds' ..........

Gas was 49.9 back then -

the only Terrorists we knew of was Mike Biggs
whose Father owned the 'big big money',
'Quality Auto Body' [ which had a Donahue parked
out front a few years ago > $3k. ]

Mickey ran a bucks up Custom Root Beer 'Chunk' Metalflake
Corvette.

and ..............John Cokely
whos' Dad owned the local VW Dealership -

we'd go on 'swaps' - trade one color VW to another
Dealership for one a customer wanted >

John beat
the crap out of the Bugs on the way to the swap >
in the grass between lanes on the NYS Thruway,
doing 'Bat Turns' > yank the emergency brake & go 90 degrees
then dump the clutch......... many a bent shifting fork & flat-bed
for the swap cars..........it was............ a 'Magic Time' ........

John owned 'The Frog' > a Green '69 L- 88 Tri- Power Corvette Coupe
on street slicks with a killer stereo playing 'Spooky Tooth'.....
"Evil Woman" .........real loud .......

.....there was  Finley with the *MINT* red '67 Trans Am Camaro
Aluminium Block Z-28 302 screamer jacked on Crager / SS
flash  ......... who finally discovered why God made dry sumps
after grenading 3   shortblocks.

Racing was on Rte. 6 near Camp Buckner -
West Point on the other side of Storm King Mountain
via a harrowing snake on a sheer granite wall road above
the Hudson River - 'Old Storm King Highway' ,  20 minutes of
huge eyeballing and smoking brakes.

......'run what you brung'......... Lime Green HEMI '70 Roadrunner ?
there was a 'Machine' locally that the AMC dealers parts guy owned -
sounded great but he'd never do battle with it.

..........MPs' would show up on Rte. 6,
Military JEEPs at the shut down  half mile - betting coffee
cash.........
West Points' norther Gate is at  Rte. 6s' end -
right before  the
road turns right  into 'Old Storm King'.

 the 2 mile long straight strip we raced looks alot
like 'Paradise Road' ..........plenty of space to roll -

one evening,  about
30 cars in attendence -  the State Police busted [ 50mph sliding
in   sideway Mopars ]  cars  streaming around them -  down Rte. 6 -
70mph - cars passing our '71 Red Charger - flying the  break down
lane>
and
the
raised up '65 Mustang  I'd hitched a ride down in,
loose  bolts not holding the upper & lower
control arms together is doing a floating cha-cha past my window -

- [ passenger seat bolts were mostly missing too ] -

> lights in the trees,  rolling  up we find the Mustang had swapped ends and rolled up
the side of  [ the sheer rock wall ]  landing  upside down,
crushing the roof.

That was my American Graffiti summer.

....... Summer nights, 'stock' engines boasting in
 2nd gear , Craftsman
drop lit  creeper &
a girlfriend you forgot to call,
Chrome  Diner 'n dawn refugees from  Night Clubs,
chowing the French Fries & Gravy over Cokes.

         =Bt=
  milnersXcoupe

Date sent:      	Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:36:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Re: '7o 'big slot' 15" rims
To:             	hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Brian; what's with Milners coupe? Do you own it, a
clone or just perve after it. I liked the 55 better
and the 58 was always a favorite, I dig fins on cars,
my favorite was the late 50s Chryco, 59 Classic/Rebel
and 59/60 Impala.
By the way, when I was in the service, a buddy in my
squad went to high school with the guy who was
portrayed by Dreyfus. he said all that stuff in the
movie actually happened over the course of one summer
in Modesto, Calif. They just compressed it all in one
night for the movies sake....Russ