Re: [AMC-List] Inline smoothness... Re: Happiness is an AMC I6

Re: [AMC-List] Inline smoothness... Re: Happiness is an AMC I6

The exceptions to in-line smoothness are four and odd cylinder (3 and 5) engines. Something about the power pulses being to far apart to be smooth, I think. The odd ones just don't fire exactly opposite each other. Until the advent of computer balancing odd cylinder numbers didn't work well except in two strokes and diesels. Diesels vibrated anyway, I guess, and two strokes effectively double the number of power pulses (they fire at EVERY TDC, not EVERY OTHER one as a four stroke). Audi was the first to make a five cylinder gas engine, and I remember reading that computer technology (ignition and fuel controls, not balancing) was the key to their success. Volvo has made one since the intro of the 850, and there's the Suzuki three cylinder engines from Japan that was used in the late 80s intro of the Geo Metro -- and likely before.